The Yamba Surf Lifesaving Club was formed at a meeting at the Yamba School of Arts on September 9th, 1908 and has been operating continuously since that time. It is the oldest surf club on the Far North Coast of New South Wales and one of the oldest in the world.
In March, 1908 teenagers Walter Freeburn and Clarrie Redman used a life buoy and line to rescue Maclean resident Samuel Dhu in a heavy swell at the northern end of Main Beach. They received Royal Shipwreck and Humane Society of NSW awards for their efforts and this rescue was the catalyst for the formation of the Yamba Surf Lifesaving Club. Both men became valued members of the new club under the inaugural President Ted Cox, Club Captain Bill Black and Secretary/Treasurer and Instructor George Lowe.
The first club rooms were built in the 1913-14 season and the present clubhouse was opened in 1931 with extensions and alterations occurring in subsequent years. The club has operated uninterrupted by World Wars and The Depression since its inception over 100 years ago.
The Yamba Surf Lifesaving Club’s mission is to provide a beach environment that is safe and desirable for use by the public. The club aims to encourage a professional, competitive and social environment that ensures the overall safety of the public.
You can view the old Surf Club Website using the link below.